Who should attend?
This course has been developed for frontline disability workers, youth workers, community service workers and case managers who provide support to children and young people (10-17) with cognitive disability, in contact or at risk of contact with the criminal justice system.
This course aims to develop the knowledge, confidence and skills of disability, justice and community sector workers to support children and young people with cognitive disability, in contact or at risk of contact with the criminal justice system.
It contains practical elements but it is primarily an information workshop, designed to complement and build upon workers’ existing knowledge.
Outcomes from the workshop:
By the end of this one-day workshop, it is expected participants will have:
- A general understanding of the juvenile justice system in NSW
- Increased knowledge about the importance of early identification and intervention for children and young people with cognitive disabilities
- Greater awareness of police powers
- Improved confidence when supporting children and young people in interactions with police
- Basic understanding of the Young Offenders Act 1997 (NSW)
- Working knowledge of the NSW Children’s Court and diversionary options available for children and young people
- Some useful tips for working with lawyers
To register for a course please choose your venue and date and then enter your details for that course – there is no charge, but numbers are limited. This registration form is hosted within the CCWT registration/database system, so a new window from that site will open for you to enter your details.
You will notice our registration system has changed from earlier DJP courses, as we have installed a new database registration system. We are aware that a few people have had problems with this registration system when using some early versions of Internet Explorer (version 9 and below).
So, if you do experience difficulties registering for this course we recommend using another web browser to access the system – such as Chrome or Firefox, or access the registration system using your mobile phone or tablet. If you continue to experience issues or need help completing the form, please contact us via email@example.com